Thursday, May 14, 2009

Count Down to Aventure

Primalcore Magneto is hard at work planning and plotting my route over the big mainland continent. As you can see from the map picture, it is a rather large section of the grid.  I'll be starting at Pounce on the southern tip and heading more or less in a northern direction from there.

For the last week or so I've been wearing the pack every day -- trying to get used to it -- as well as taking short hikes to get ready for the forthcoming walkabout. I thought I was in fairly good shape but have since discovered that there's in shape and then there's in condition and the two are not the same.

Also, I discovered that packed stuff starts to weigh a lot after a while. Water weighs 8.3 Lbs a gallon (2.2 Lbs per liter) and all things being equal, the average person requires about .5 gallons per day, more if you're doing constant exercise/work like hiking. Plus, there's water needed for cooking and washing. I can't be assured of adequate water supplies along the route so will have to make sure I carry enough to make it between the supply drops.

The weight issue has already caused me to replace the cast iron fry pan with an aluminum one and I'm seriously debating the need for the lantern -- a box of matches and some candles are looking better and better. But another week or so of conditioning may reverse that inclination.

The sturdy shoes I selected seem to be holding up well though I've discovered that two pair of socks is better than one so that doubles that sock loadout. A second pair of shoes will have to be added just in case 'cause wet shoes or a broken one would be very bad for the feet and I'll need some milage on them to break them in.

***

In case you didn't re-read the last post after it was updated, I gained two more Cool Sponsors, Cathy Gray and Katar Supercharge.

Since then, three more Cool Sponsor have signed up.  Thank you Rebecca Wendell for the 5L$ per region and thank you to Fearkiller Dorchester for the 1L$ per region and thank you Reymon Thalheimer for the 1L$ per.  This brings the total pledges to 81L$ for each that I cross on the trek.

Also, Kylan Nicholls made a direct contribution of 400L$ which will be added to the total at the end of the walkabout.

***


Update! Saturdays concert on Mogo at Beta Quadrant had a change of headliners.  Cylindrian Rutabaga cancelled on Friday but Cool Sponsor KallfuNahuel Matador found a wonderful replacement: Grace McDunnough.

If you would like more information on the Lanterns for Life projects to raise money for the Cancer Society's Relay for Life, contact Aree Lulibub in Second Life.

If you would like to pledge for the Walkabout, you can contact me, Pierce Kronos, inworld as well.

Go Relay!

No comments: